Friday, October 13, 2006

At a recent public family event, I was lucky to win a Zoodler Academy class at the local zoo aimed at 3-5 year-olds. This couldn't be more perfect for my son Brandon, as he's very interested in animals and just turned three in early September. So far I know the class involves a craft, some ABC and numbers, and an animal encounter. Best of all, my husband William will be joining me for the first two classes, helping to evaluate the quality of the program, as it's a little under an hour and a half to drive to. It's only once a week, Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 P.M. for parent and child. Classes are only $12 for members of the Zoological Society, and $15 for non-members. Grandma is paying for the other classes.

We're attending this coming Tuesday. I'll be writing all about that experience. Today I plan to buy some items, including Before Five in a Row and Peak with Books (similar to Before Five in Row, but expands on the subject and continues further) at Rainbow Resource Center. Needless to say, I'm very excited. These could be hardly called real curricula, as they're really just gentle introductions. You don't need to spend a dime. Just read lots of books and ask questions. We've been doing that since Brandon was born and he's doing wonderfully. However, I'm the type of person who needs some outside guidance otherwise nothing measurable can get done. I wish to have some more structured fun with my son. I can tell he's blossoming intellectually and emotionally, and I want to take that opportunity to grow and learn with him.

I purchased and received the Roots & Shoots Curriculum for Young Children, mostly just for evaluation and to determine when I could use it with Brandon. At only $9.99 it is surely a bargain! Judging from what I see so far, I'll wait and see for that one. He could be ready in six months or in a year, who knows? I like Roots and Shoots because I do wish to teach him care and concern for people, animals and the environment. Social responsibility and citizenship belong in that category too.

Photo courtesy of swearinglibrarian

No comments: