Saturday, August 30, 2008

Something Clicked

Today what seemed like an innocent enough request turned into an adventure in itself.  I sat down on the couch next to Brandon and he asked me to read to him from a magazine he had just received.  Aha!  I thought.  It was Click Magazine, a magazine I had subscribed to but we have not really explored as much as I had hoped.  With much enthusiasm, I read to him about building, how to make things and machinery like diggers and cranes to construct buildings.  I learned quite a few things myself.  In fact, we're inspired to build a bookshelf ourselves now!

We spent the rest of the day in the car and we checked out real cranes, diggers and trucks at a bridge construction site from the road.  Now he wants to play with his toy diggers and cranes in a new, meaningful way.  Previously he's always been into animals, blocks, puzzles, music and books, not into cars or trucks.

Do not give up on those magazines or resources you have thought previously as "the untouchables". Sometimes it takes a few months for one topic, one day and one moment to make it click.  

No comments: