Saturday, June 27, 2009



Favorites

As the year draws to a close for us, we've gone back to basics -- math, reading, copywork. We're also finishing up Science. I've been thinking about our favorites for this year. For me it would have to be:

Tanglewood's Really Reading Program (Son is a great reader!)
Let's Read and Find Out Science Books (love this series! Son reads these on his own now)
Miquon Math (adventures in math discovery)
Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2 (the name says it all)
MCP Math (solid presentation of concepts and TM teaches me to teach)
Poems to Read to the Very Young (ruined our old copy, bought a new one)
Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting (clear results)

I can't say enough about Tanglewood's Really Reading program. Son went from knowing all his letters and sounds to reading simple words within a few weeks after starting this simple program. Not bad for a free program, eh? In a few months he was reading really well, with intonations and everything. After he completed the program he was reading happily, and reading at a third grade level. I'm not sure where he is right now, but he sure is improving daily. He reads for an hour before bed, and that's not counting all the times in the middle of the day when he picks up a book and reads. I'm so happy. It makes my heart sing that he loves reading so much. I hope the love of books and reading will always stay firmly planted in his heart and mind.

No comments: